Wednesday, January 5, 2011

FO: Alice mittens

alice7

Oh, I love them! The pattern is Alice in Wonderland mittens, by Jennifer Lang of Sadie & Oliver. These took a while to knit up, as there are quite a few fussy bits, including long cuffs with a cast-on picot edge, sewn buttohs with buttonholes,
alice6

the colorwork of course (palms shown here),
alice5

and the lining! In the end the lining was the hardest part to push myself to do--it was basically knitting two whole mittens (lining turned inside out):
alice2


But in the end the lining was totally worth it--the mittens are a hundred times warmer, it's so smooth inside without any floats to catch fingers/rings, and the mittens are just poofier and cozier and mitten-y. See the poofiness?
alice4


Also fiddly was the embroidery, but this really makes the pattern. Since my piss-poor embroidery skills can't convey what they are: the white rabbit is holding a pocket watch,
alice8

and Alice is holding a key. If you don't know why those objects in particular, or why there are roses all over, you should read the books!
alice9


The yarn was Silk & Lambswool by Simply Shetland; it contains the fibers mentioned in the name. I reversed the colors on the second glove in case I ran out of the "main" color, but in the end I think there's about half of each ball left over. (My scale's battery is out right now so I can't measure exactly). The lining was the leftover Estelle super alpaca lace paints from my Toronto Shawl, 100% alpaca. Finally, a great use for leftover laceweight yarns!

My mods were to reverse the colors on one glove, and to add the key to Alice's hand. Otherwise, this is a very well-written pattern, and a true pleasure to knit up!

These mittens are off to their recipient, brand new mama to the Beanstalk blanket-recipient, with many wishes for a good fairy-tale life!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, those are amazing! I love the colorwork, and the lining seems like such a good idea. They came out great!

Siga said...

So cute! They must be really really warm. I just finished a pair of mitts without a lining and they are already warm.

mooncalf said...

Oh wow! i love all the little touches - they make them really extra-super-special. I can see exactly what your embroidery is and your colourwork is so neat. I love them!

knitwonpurltoo said...

Those are brilliant. You should share your changes on Ravelry. The key is a great add and the colors are wonderful. Terrific!!!!

Julie said...

Oh, WOW. these look incredible!! I love the reversed colouring on the mittens, adn the yellow embroidery for the details is amazing. I agree with you on the extra knitted lining- it's a must have for toasty warm mitts, for sure. Y

betty said...

I agree with everyone else -- those are some fancy mittens indeed! What's more impressive is that they are being gifted away. I'm selfish enough that if I knit something that nice, I would want to keep it for myself!

Karen E said...

What a fun design. Nice job on them. =)

emicat said...

Ohh love it! I'm knitting some mittens right now for NaKniMitMo and I'm finding all these wonderful mitten patterns. I think these will have to be yet another I need to add to the queue!

Gidgetknits said...

Gorgeous! I really love that you've reversed the colours - it's a quirky touch!

LuluMarie said...

very cozy and beautiful colors!