Saturday, February 12, 2011

FO: Flutter mittens

flutter2


These mittens are simply delightful! I guess handfuls of yellow butterflies are just like that. The backs are the same, with the butterflies getting larger and more complex from wrist to tip. There's a big mistake (mine, not the pattern) in one of the smallest butterfly rows, but I couldn't be bothered to tink back by the time I noticed.
flutter3

The palms have a tight diagonal grid pattern, and the right palm has a superimposed large gorgeous butterfly. So it looks like one is holding a butterfly in one's cupped hands.

flutter1

(Lesson for the day: It's really hard to take pictures of your own hands in mittens.)

The pattern is Flutter Mittens, by Eskimimi. Click through to read about the literary inspiration for the mittens! To get the right colors I used two different yarns: New England Shetland by Harrisville Designs (colorway Marigold), and Shetland Spindrift by Jamieson's colorway 727). They are similar "sticky" loosely-spun yarns, good for colorwork. They are (after blocking) on the thick fingering to light sport weight yarns, but because I wanted a really tight fabric and because my hands are freakishly small, I used size 0 needles. Not only did I break a needle on the last row of the first glove, I broke another needle on the last row of the second glove! So yeah, maybe it wasn't such a great idea to use such thin needles and do double decreases with them, but on the other hand (hee), the fit is great.

flutter-cammy

Cammy likes the big butterfly too.

As of today there are 13 other Flutter mittens on Ravelry, hence these are #3 of  my 12 under 43 projects.

4 comments:

Siga said...

Wow, an amazing pair. Whatever the mistake is, it is not noticeable at all. I would not have gone back to fix it either, I guess.

thea said...

So cute!!

Sarah said...

Beautifully done!

mooncalf said...

I can't see any mistakes. I love that butterfly in the palm so much! Just beautiful.