Thursday, February 24, 2011

One hippocampus

hippocampi2


No thumb yet; it's perfect for that Caravaggio character from English Patient, if he had his right hand chopped off too. So excited for the other colors in this ball of yarn to show up on the second glove!

hotwaterbottle

I used the Amana hot water bottle for the first time! The weather was so temptingly warm and balmy, that I forgot that I don't run (knees, ankles, boobs, tendons, everything hurts) and went for a run in Forest Park. The running paths aren't orthogonal, and wind in funny ways, and eventually I ended up running over 2 hours! The next day my legs were freakishly sore and I was hobbling around, so I filled up the hot water bottle. How amazingly soothing! I have never used a hot water bottle before and thoroughly read the English portion of the directions before use, but I'm not sure about some of the guidelines. Brits and other hot water bottle connoiseurs, help!

1) Directions say to fill up only from the tap, never to put in boiling water. Is this total BS, like Qtip directions saying not to put in your ear?

2) Directions say it can't be microwaved. True or false? I would think it is a good way to sterilize the thing.

3) How do you clean out the inside? Is there a special brush? Does it get moldy?

4) I was afraid to put any weight on it, like feet. How much weight can a hot water bottle (with a screw cap) bear? Has anyone tested this out?

I realize all of these questions seem quite stupid, but (obviously) I could use your help!

Also, with just the hottest tap water, the bottle was not that hot, ie a lace-weight cozy would be fine. I used a thin towel and felt like it was way too thick. But any hotter and I think at least a DK weight yarn cozy would be needed. Life's lesson learned!

8 comments:

Rose Red said...

Hot water bottles are GREAT! To answer your questions:

1. I always boil the electric jug and use that. I know most Americans don't have an electric jug (don't know why, but anyway!) so if you don't have one, then I would definitely boil water on the stove and use that (or in the microwave). But not right at boiling point, I'd let it cool a bit first (or don't let it reach boiling point at all).

2. I have never put one in a microwave. I suspect the screw mechanism is or contains metal, which is probably why you wouldn't do it. I'm not sure why you'd want to sterilize it??

3. I have never cleaned out the inside either. I always empty the water out the next morning and hang it to dry (with the cap off, spout side hanging down) so it shouldn't get mouldy or smelly.

4. I always put my feet on it (in bed, which is where I mostly use it). But I wouldn't stand on it, or sit on it. It also depends on how full it is. I usually fill about half to 2/3 full, then you slowly lay it on its side, holding the open end upwards, until the sides come together and you can see water at the base of the opening, then screw the cap in. This gets out the excess air, so there won't be an air bubble inside. (hope that makes sense!)

I usually use a flannel pillowcase as a hot water bottle cosy. I really should knit one!

soknitpicky said...

Love the name of the post :-)

I have never used a hot water bottle, but if a plastic thing says specifically not to microwave it, I dedinitely wouldn't. (This may be in part due to a traumatic experience in college in which I autoclaved a plastic container that was not microwave safe. Ugh.)

mooncalf said...

I thought a hippocampus was a bit of your brain. It is a seahorse? I'm so scientifically-illiterate! I ought to be ashamed.

1) Directions say to fill up only from the tap, never to put in boiling water. Is this total BS, like Qtip directions saying not to put in your ear?

I put some cold water in the bottom (like two inches) and then fill from the kettle. To take the edge off the boiling water.

2) Directions say it can't be microwaved. True or false? I would think it is a good way to sterilize the thing.

Why would you want to sterilise it? You're only putting hot water in it. Don't drink the water!

3) How do you clean out the inside? Is there a special brush? Does it get moldy?
e
There is no need to clean the inside. You're only putting hot water in and tipping it out cold in the morning. See above re: not drinking the water.

4) I was afraid to put any weight on it, like feet. How much weight can a hot water bottle (with a screw cap) bear? Has anyone tested this out?

Hot water bottles are tough. Do not lie your full body weight on it but you can put your feet on it. That rubber is thick!

Your main risk with a hot water bottle is the rubber perishing and water leaking. I don't really understand the process for this (bottle age is the only real constant I can determine) but you will be able to apply mad science skillz and will know how to avoid this.

P.S. Loved your comment on my blog about the availability of balloon-modelling-balloons. I like the idea that you might have to show special clown ID to buy them :)

Julie said...

you can defintiely put boiling water in the hot water bottle, but then you need a cozy on it or something, otherwise you could burn yourself with it- the plasti get ssuper hot. I clean mine with a solution of vinegar and boilnig water- fill it 1/4 with hot water, add vinegar. shake it up and leave it to sit for a bit. The vinegar kills all teh bacteria, then leave it upside down and sort of propped open a bit to dry out.

knitwonpurltoo said...

Personally, I use drugs. No clue about the hot water bottle, but the mitten is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

tina said...

as always------- pretty amazing stuff! The hwb has probably gotten a workout lately too!!!

Karen E said...

I once saw a guy trying to break some record for blowing up hot water bottles. He blew them up pretty large before they burst and at one point blew one up with a person sitting on it so I can't imagine you'll do anything to it that'll cause any problem. =)

Nice work on the mitten!

orata said...

The mitten looks awesome!