Sunday, July 3, 2011

FO: Blue baby sweater

blue-babysweater2

Pattern is Sock Yarn Top Down Baby Cardigan, and the name pretty much tells the story. This pattern, in addition to being free (whee!), is great for people who like sock yarn but don't like knitting socks. Yarn is Batika, from Schoeller & Stahl (part of Skacel), which I believe is not actually a sock yarn. It's 100% antibacterial polyacryl, which can go in the washer on warm, but not in the dryer. Who knew there were acrylic baby-ish yarns that can't go in the dryer? I didn't even bother to check, back when I got the yarn in Baltimore. Anyway, the long color repeats worked out really well for this pattern, and the fabric is non-itchy and has a pretty sheen.
batika

Sadly, I ran out of yarn and got some navy blue Plymouth Yarn Dream Baby DK to finish the edging. This was in Minneapolis. It was totally not purposeful, but in the end the cardigan looks more polished with a solid color edging, and I'll definitely do it again next time. In total, I used 2 skeins of Batika and 36 of 50 grams of the Dream Baby, which comes out to 416 yards of DK weight yarn. (I modified the pattern to make both the torso and sleeves shorter, so it'll take more yarn to follow the pattern to the letter.)
blue-babysweater3

Finally, for a very well traveled baby sweater, the buttohs are from gather here in Cambridge. I got 5 and made 5 buttonholes, but one of the buttons escaped before it could be attached. It's the one at the top of the neck, and I don't think it would have been used all that much anyway. That's my story and I'm sticking with it, because getting another matching button, or getting and sewing on a whole new set of buttons, is going to drag out the process to the point the recipient is going to grow out of the sweater before it even gets to him. It's a good thing four-button cardis are all the rage among babies these days.

ETA: With 33 projects on Ravelry, this is #7 for my 12 under 43 resolution for the year!

4 comments:

Rose Red said...

It is such a great cardigan, I love it with the plain blue bands! And if it helps, I never do up the top (or bottom) buttons on baby cardigans anyway!

Julie said...

what a cutie pie cardigan!! the stripes look awesome, I love that the yarn was perfect for stripes. Looks great!

Rachel said...

YOu did a great job on that!

tamdoll said...

This looks amazing!! I love knitting small projects with sock yarn, they always feel so nice.