Friday, February 10, 2012

New Mexico 2012, part 1

Yikes about the bloggy break! DH and I went on another trip to New Mexico. It's been 3.5 years since the last trip, and this time we went ostensibly so I could learn how to ski. (IMHO, knit > ski.)
newmexico

Beautiful Sandia Mountains just outside Albuquerque.


To make up for the bloggy break and general negligence, I'll share some wonderful LYS's and other fiber-art-related goodness from the trip. This is the most time-sensitive one, because it's going to close at the end of the month! La Lana Wools, in Taos New Mexico, carries a HUGE selection of locally spun and dyed yarn. Eee!
lalanawools1


I got some bright yellow worsted weight wool for a sweater, and now I regret not also getting the variegated green on the lower left.
lalanawools6


Also, I got some DK for a scarf or hat or shawl. (Un)fortuately I got so much yarn on this trip, that I don't even remember what color it was (it is being shipped back home, so we'll see when it arrives).
lalanawools5


There are also these nubbly things and roving and related spinning products, much of it dyed in very tempting colorways.
 lalanawools2

All of their dyeing is also done locally, mainly by store employees. All colorways are plant-based and generally local also.
lalanawools3


Oh, and the hand-woven rugs! I refer to knitting as the gateway drug to spinning, but really, the truth is that spinning is the gateway drug to weaving. (Right now it's unclear clear where dyeing fits into the gateway paradigm.)

lalanawools4


Wow! I did get one, but as a fru-gal, of course didn't get one of the rugs on the wall. If anyone would like to buy any of these rugs for me I would not be offended in any way whatsoever, just sayin'.
lalanawools9


More juicy ropes of yarn!
lalanawools8



Many patterns for sale are designed by the shop staff, and are packaged with shop yarns. 
lalanawools7

The sad news is that this store is going to close. The good news is that this means great deals for everyone!! They take phone (1-888-377-9631) orders, so if you have something in mind, give them a call, or go to Taos in person and feel the fuzzy goodness in person. Most everything was about half-off, and surely the discounts will get steeper as the final day approaches. La Lana is having a store-closing party on Saturday, Feb 18, so if you live close by, that would be a fine time to visit Taos. Also, I hear there is something called "skiing" there.

5 comments:

betty said...

Gaaahh -- I was planning to go to New Mexico this late spring or early summer, and Taos is on the list of sites to see, including this yarn shop.

Erin Kate said...

Oh my gosh it looks awesome!

syu said...

wow nice pics and look colorful.....


Latest Tech News, Socia Media News, Tips

orata said...

I saw the message about them closing! Good timing ;)

mooncalf said...

Oh my - I can see why you couldn't resist. Those colours!!!