Tuesday, August 21, 2012

FO: round citron baby blanket

One of the knitting group ladies had a baby! In my knitting group, this does not happen terribly frequently. So after some plotting and planning, we had ourselves a citrus-themed knitted baby shower! I got a special skein of very citrusy yarn during an unblogged work trip to Boston. Newbury Yarns wouldn't let me take any pictures of the inside (weird), but here is a skein of their house-dyed DIPS sock yarn.

dips
I originally got this for a baby sweater, then saw that too many compatriots were doing that, so I dug around for blanket patterns. Not many blanket patterns are in sock weight, especially with just 400 yards.

Since the last Citron was such fun and well-received, I decided that if I doubled the half-circle into a full-circle, and knitted in the round, this would be an all-knitted and easy-peasy blanket, and I'd just stop when I ran out of yarn.

citron_round1
Which is exactly what I did, after just 3 repeats! Actually I ran out of yarn to cast off, so then I used the remaining loops to do a crochet bind-off; since it was on the ruffly part with lots of stitches anyway, it didn't end up too tight (definitely NOT recommended for a regular shawl).

citron_round2
I wrote down the final dimensions but the house is still a mess after moving in. I hope this expectant mama picture gives a good sense of scale.

citron_round3

Welcome to the world Aurelia!
citron_round4


7 comments:

Sharripie said...

It's almost like Bang! Baby shower! and Bang! Baby! Great blankie.

Shady Grove said...

Lovely blanket, beautiful baby, fun afternoon.

Silvana

Angela said...

Beautiful baby, congratulations! Interesting blog. I enjoyed looking through you last travel photos. Gorgeous place. Wishing a happy Autumn!

packers and movers in mumbai said...

thanks for this it very nice
www.packersmoversnashik.com
www.packersmoversinmumbai.com
www.packersmoverskalyan.com
www.packersmoversvashi.com
www.packersmoverspowai.com
www.packersandmoverskharghar.com
www.packersmoversmalad.com
www.kingrelocations.com

phyllis dawson said...

What a wonderful concept, a round baby blanket! I love it. I'm going to make one for my great-grandbaby that's on the way. Thanks for a wonderful idea.

vishnu s said...

Thank you. For more click here.
Packers And Movers Airoli
packers and movers kalyan

Praveen RS said...

Such a wonderful design and more than that such a cute baby
http://www.goverhorticulture.com/stainless-steel.html